Lyrup is a town in South Australia's rural Riverland area. Lyrup is located on the banks of the Murray River. It is 267 kilometres north-east of Adelaide, the capital of the state of South Australia and 25 kilometres from Renmark. At the 2006 census, Lyrup had a population of 502.
Lyrup is accessible by ferry. It was established in 1894 by the South Australian government as a part of the creation of a communal land system (one of twelve settlements). 243 people originally settled in Lyrup. The town was gazetted on 24 September 1896 and was named after "Lyrup's Hut", a boundary rider's shack.
Notes and references